Sunday, February 8, 2009
Homemade blueberry pancakes are deliciously easy to make. Blueberries are a good source of many important vitamins and nutrients. Have you ever been blueberry picking? If you have, you will understand why fresh blueberries are not cheap. My son and I went blueberry picking last summer on a farm north of the Twin Cities. It was a beautiful sunny day and we spent about two hours picking blueberries. Blueberries grow on a bush and must be picked by hand. We finished up with about a one gallon ice cream bucket full of yummy purple berries.
Here is my recipe for blueberry pancakes:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 cup frozen (do not thaw) or fresh blueberries
1. Mix egg, oil, and buttermilk.
2. Add salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Mix well.
3. Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick pan.
4. Ladle about one cup of batter into the pan when hot.
5. Sprinkle blueberries throughout the pancake.
6. Turn over when golden brown on one side.
7. Top with butter and real maple syrup.